Ever wondered how to wear tall black boots with a dress? I paired this berry-hued dress from the Chriselle Lim Collection with a pair of Unisa Indyia over the knee boots c/o DSW Canada for a chic fall look that’s edgy and date-night-ready.
This fall, a few trends trends stand out: animal prints, silk scarves, and wrap dresses are constant themes. For footwear, animal prints are also translating, but the focus is still on over-the-knee boots. I’ve been a fan of OTK boots for a few years, and I’m happy the trend is here to stay since they’re comfy and warm!
For fall, I also love wearing over the knee or tall black boots bare-legged for an edgy look. It’s a great way to transition from wearing summer dresses with sandals, to simply swapping them for a pair of boots. Once winter hits, I’ll add some sheer or thicker tights to this look, and layer on a leather or cropped wool jacket to stay cozy.
Another trend I’m noticing are both wrap dresses and handkerchief hems! I love that this dress from the Chriselle Lim Collection has an 80s vibe with the bold colour, puffy sleeves and wide lapel on the neckline.
5 Tips: How to wear tall black boots with a dress
1. Make sure the dress is short enough to show some skin between the hemline and the top of the boot.
2. Mix textures. I paired a silky satin dress with suede for some contrast.
3. Keep it simple. I like the way I’ve paired two solids together. The boots give a pop.
4. Tights or no tights? If you’re wearing boots with a dress, I am all for wearing sheer tights that allow the boots to stand out. Opaque or printed tights can be too heavy or distract from the look.
5. Keep the leg of the boot slimline. While slouchy boots are in, I find they make your look “bottom heavy” and detract from a pretty dress. This slim over-the-knee style from Unisa is very sleek and elegant, and helps elongate your legs.
I hope you enjoyed by tips on how to wear tall black boots with a dress. I find this formula also works for sheath dresses and babydoll silhouettes as well.