It’s that time of year again! Awards season is in full swing, and I’m kicking off my coverage with the best and worst dressed looks on the Golden Globes 2017 red carpet. This year, big trends included bright yellow (see Viola Davis, Natalie Portman, Maisie Williams, Emily Ratajkowski and Reese Witherspoon), and sheer pastel ruffled dresses (see all the gals in Gucci plus Hailee Steinfeld). So without any delay here are my best dressed picks:
Best Dressed Golden Globes 2017 Red Carpet
10. I love this navy and orange Delpozo gown on Caitriona Baife. The Outlander star looks so elegant.
9. Drew Barrymore looked like an angel in this Monique Lhuillier gown. I see her starting a boho bride trend this summer during bridal season!
7. Jessica Chastain looked beautiful in blue. This Prada gown was a stunner for Miss Sloane.
6. Olivia Culpo took my breath away in this Zuhair Murad embroidered gown. The dress looks like it tells a story, and I love the daring makeup look!
5. I wasn’t sold on this Atelier Versace dress immediately, but love it even more now that I realize it’s in on-trend velvet. Blake Lively always knocks it out of the park! And it has pockets! (I’m a big fan.)
4. Lily Collins rocked this Zuhair Murad gown. White the bottom looks a bit like curtains, the neckline and appliques are so stunning, and I love the colour on her skintone.
3. Hailee Steinfeld looked incredible in this Elie Saab Haute Couture gown. The lilac colour was a complete standout on the red carpet and I adore the cut out shoulders and sheer panels on the bust. This gown is one in a million!
2. Evan Rachel Wood lead the pack in this chic Altuzarra suit.
1. Winner of the evening, Emma Stone looked resplendent in this Valentino gown. A star is born! (I couldn’t help it.) This gown is just so fun and perfect for the Golden Globes 2017 red carpet… a great warmup for the Oscars next month.
Worst Dressed: Golden Globes 2017 Red Carpet
8. Kerry Washington disappointed me in this lace Dolce & Gabbana dress. While I love the shorter tea length, there’s just too much going on for the red carpet. This dress would have looked great on a TV appearance, but overwhelms her in that I’m looking at the dress instead of her.
7. Heidi Klum just can’t get off my worst dressed list!? This J Mendel gown is noisy and too pedestrian for a black tie affair! It’s a fun dress, but it’s distracting and more fitting for a club opening in Vegas. I’m surprised she doesn’t have her own club “auf wiedersehen.”
6. Carrie Underwood wore a Pepto Bismol pink Sembal dress. I could get over the colour if it weren’t for the late 00’s rosette ruffle top.
5. Felicity Jone’s Gucci gown was a monstrosity. From the trompe l’oeil details on the top to the embroidered lace bottoms, the Swarovski bow is just the icing on this pink tulle cake. Honestly, as I’m writing this post I can’t see the top of the dress, and it looks like a window treatment.
4. I was not a fan of Nicole Kidman’s Alexander McQueen frock. Honestly, Sarah Burton must be really digging through the archives these days… this dress is a smorgasbord of so many McQueen elements: the feathers, corsetry, metallic elements, nature motifs… it’s just too much. It would look a lot better without those hanging sleeves (just wait for my worst dressed pick below!)
3. I absolutely despise Sienna Miller’s Michael Kors getup. She looks as country club basic as an outdated, oversized Michael Kors watch. The matching pearl necklace and bracelet? No one has worn a matching set since 1964. Completely disjointed with the simple white column gown with cutouts.
2. Sophie Turner wore this Louis Vuitton gown that looks like a cross between early 90s Versace and a Kim Kardashian tight slit skirt, and is topped off with shoulder pads. Shoulder pads. I’ll save those for a power suit instead of a red carpet gown.
1. Once again, Sarah Jessica Parker tops my worst dressed list in this Vera Wang gown. Drew Barrymore wore a bridal designer right. Simple and not too “bride-like.” SJP’s dutch braid crown looks like a Wedding Pinterest board experiment gone wrong and I can’t get over those hanging sleeves! Was this an homage to Princess Leia? I can only hope so.