While I know this red carpet recap comes a couple days late, I couldn’t miss the chance to round up my best and worst dressed picks from the 2019 Golden Globes.
Best Dressed at the 2019 Golden Globes
5. Rosamund Pike in Givenchy. This look is very fierce, and I love that she took a risk on the red carpet. The black gown with cut-outs might have looked plain on its own, but the silver bomber jacket elevates this look from red carpet to runway-worthy.
4. Saorsie Ronan in Gucci. Lately, Alessandro’s designs have been missing the mark on the red carpet, but this rhinestone chainmail dress is so sleek and sexy. Paired with Ronan’s slick hair and emerald gems, I’m in love with this plunging gown.
3. Kiki Layne in custom Dior Couture. This gown incorporates Maria Grazia Chiuri’s signature Dior aesthetic with a sheer corset top and tulle gown. While Constance Wu had a similar Vera Wang style, this dress wins style points with the modern grid-patterned corset and romantic draping over her shoulders.
2. Lupita Nyong’o in Calvin Klein by appointment. This stunning blue creation by Raf Simons is so unique and beautiful. I love the rich blue colour, the fringe, and how each fringe piece is dipped in metal. It creates a constellation effect that is divine. The best part about this look is that oval neckline, which is very unique and flattering on the actress.
1. Lady Gaga in Valentino. WOW. Blue hair aside, this gown is incredible. I love the periwinkle colour, the dramatic sleeves and larger-than-life train. It’s very Gaga, and I love that it’s a nod to Judy Garland’s dress in the 1954 version of A Star is Born. ‘
Worst Dressed at the 2019 Golden Globes
5. Lilli Reinhart in Khyeli Couture. This gown reminds me of a loofah, and you can see her underwear. Hard pass for me.
4. Alison Brie and Constance Wu in Vera Wang. Both these gowns are bad for the same reasons: too much tulle and a weird bow.
3. Sophia Carson in Giambattista Valli Couture. This dress has a LOT going on. Take away the bow (why are there so many bows!?) and the trumpet hem, and you might have a cool dress. Too many elements overwhelm this look, which is a shame, as I like the texture of the fabric and the tulle neckline.
2. Emma Stone in Louis Vuitton. This gown is just bad. The colour washes out her skin tone and it’s ill-fitting. This is so disappointing, when only two years ago she wore one of my favourite Golden Globes looks of all time – remember that star dress!? I know she has a contract with LV, but I hope she wears something more exciting and daring to the Oscars.
1. Rachel Brosnahan in Prada. While she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress, this yellow gown looks more like a swimsuit from J. Crew. The colour is SO WRONG. I loved her dress last year at the Globes, so this was a huge letdown for such a star.