It’s the biggest night of the year, and the stars were out for the 2018 Oscars. Following the social shift and sea of black at the 2018 Golden Globes, I was expecting to be more wowed by the 2018 Oscar red carpet. Notable trends included sunny yellow hues, and glimmering metallic dresses. Overall, I was underwhelmed, and felt like this red carpet was more of a SAG Awards red carpet, instead of the Academy. Here are my best and worst dressed stars at the 2018 Oscars.
Best Dressed: 2018 Oscars
6. Betty Gabriel wore this gorgeous teal gown. I love the embroidery on the chiffon, as well as the incredible plunging neckline.
5. Alisson Janney also wore a slinky tight Reem Acra dress in a gorgeous red colour. I like how this look is simplistic but still a big statement.
4. I adore this bright yellow Ralph Lauren gown on Eiza González. The Baby Driver star looked incredible in this body-hugging gown featuring cutouts and a sport-inspired scoop neckline.
3. Gal Gadot killed it in this glimmering Givenchy gown. Definitely fit for Wonderwoman.
2. Margot Robbie wore this beautiful Chanel white gown. It’s pretty, youthful and very luxurious. But I wish it pushed the fashion envelope a bit more. For me it lacked a bit more of a wow factor, but I still loved it.
1. My best dressed pick wasn’t an actor this year, but director Greta Gerwig. This gorgeous yellow Rodarte gown was one of the few that wowed me, and was fitted perfectly. I love the cut of this dress and the bright statement, as well as her stunning necklace.
Worst Dressed: 2018 Oscars
7. Nicole Kidman the Armani Prive butterfly. This look likely divided fashion correspondents, and I’m not a fan. While I love the colour and the plunging sweetheart neckline, the bow/butterfly effect on her hips and her helmet hair is not working for me.
6. Emma stone wore a Louis Vuitton red blazer with pink bow and pants to the Oscars. This look works for a late-night talk show appearance, or maybe a press junket but not for the red carpet. A sleeker suit or jumpsuit (another fave look for the star) would have been better!
5. Saoirse Ronan totally disappointed me with this Calvin Klein by Appointment dress. The dress could have been incredible if the bodice were more fitted in a bustier style and if the waist and bow looked less droopy. So close!
4. Emily Blunt wore what look like a lace tissue cover (google it). Instead of it coming from your granny’s powder room, this lace look is by Schiaparelli.
3. Andra Day wore jacquard floral Zac Posen curtains, but you can’t knock her confidence! The look is a little much, and would have been better for the Grammy Red Carpet instead. I much preferred her glamourous black gown and green jewelry she wore during her performance.
2. Haley Bennett aka Jennifer Lawrence’s doppelganger wore DIOR GRASS on the red carpet. Clearly, they gave JLaw the better dress. I hope it’s organic!
1. Salma Hayek is without a doubt, the worst dressed star at the 2018 Oscars. She is an A-List actress and no one can dress her properly for the biggest night of the year? Her stylist needs to be fired pronto. I can’t believe this is custom Gucci, and proof that Alessandro Michele CAN indeed do wrong. This is so many levels of bad and unfortunate. It doesn’t make a statement, the colour is so off, the ruffles are old-fashioned and the jewel overlay on the bodice is overkill. I really do hate those Dionysus handbags with those same rhinestones! This woman is way too stunning to wear such an ugly dress that looks like it came from a dingy dress shop in a failing mall.