Last night, the stars hit the red carpet once again for the 2014 Screen Actor’s Guild Awards. Once again Jennifer Lawrence wore a puzzling gown, that resembled an iridescent, shiny “fruit roll up” but there were plenty of other worse offenders. Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed stars of the night.
5. Sofia Vergara in Donna Karan Atelier. This metallic dress looks amazing on Vergara’s equally amazing body. She’s been wearing a lot of statement necklaces with gowns, but this one doesn’t overpower her look like the turquoise sparkler she wore last week at the Golden Globes. Her makeup and hair also matches perfectly with the pewter-coloured dress.
3. Amy Adams in Antonio Berardi. I love the asymmetrical cut of this indigo blue gown. It’s elegant and definitely perfect for a leading lady. However, I wish her hair was a little less severe to contrast with the architectural gown.
2. Lupita Nyong’o in Gucci. She was the big winner last night, taking home the award for Supporting Actress, and looked stunning in this bright turquoise gown with beautiful floral details. I’m excited to see what she will wear at the Oscars in March.
1. Sandra Bullock did a complete 180 on her previous Golden Globes disaster with this elegant emerald Lanvin gown. I love the tulip cut and off-center bow. The fabric looks sumptuous and the gold sandals and snake arm cuff complete this sexy look.
Now for the worst…
5. Kerry Washington in Prada. Washington usually knows how to rock her pregnant bod in pretty dresses, but I’m not a fan of this crop top and high waisted skirt. It looks matronly and doesn’t flatter her at all.
3. Edie Falco wore this moddled butterfly print dress with skanky shoes and no toenail polish. It looks like something the average Jill-wannabe housewife would wear to a summer party and not an awards show red carpet.
2. Emma Thompson loves to be offbeat, but this vintage get up missed the mark. The peacock beading is pretty but gets over shadowed by the dress’ awkward short length and those horrible glitter flats that look like Thompson picked up at Target.
1. Mayim Bialik wore this dress, a cross between Morticia Adams and Betty Draper. I don’t know in what world a lace turtleneck overlay is a good idea, and the dress has a homemade vibe to it. The hem is short in the front (but not short enough) and trails in the back, and the lace on top of the sweetheart neckline completely flattens and widens her bust. It’s a bizzare outfit choice for a star that can’t pull off a fashion risk like this.
BONUS! For all you AHS: Coven fans…
Sarah Paulson, star from American Horror Story Coven wore this completely bizzare tea party frock. This would have looked adorbs on Kiernan Shipka (I PVR’d Flowers in the Attic and literally cannot wait to watch it), but on a middle aged woman? She literally looks like the white witch. The frothy meringue hue only accentuates her porcelain skin even more, and I cannot get over those dainty ruffles at the yoke of the dress. It looks like she’s one of Spalding’s prized dollies. I also didn’t get the memo that ankle charm bracelets are back!