Last night, music’s most talented stars (not the Bieber absense) attended the Grammys. And just like the show after Beyonce left the stage, the red carpet was a big snore. Katy Perry wore a see-through costume, Taylor Swift wore (surprise!) metallics and other stars wore figure-hugging gowns. Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed stars of the night…Oh Rihanna… we miss you!
6. Anna Kendrick in Azzaro. The Cups singer looked pretty in this mink-coloured gown. I love the sexy slit and cutouts, as well as her hair and accessories.
5. Ciara in Pucci. Ciara wore a gorgeous metallic and filligree dress, complete with sexy hair and natural makeup. The mom-to-be was elegant and so sexy in this, and I think she wore the gold trend the best.
1. Beyonce in Michael Costello. This is what I’m talking about. A gown that’s completely inappropriate for any other red carpet than the Grammys. From the wet hair look to the sexy sheerness of this gown, this look is a statement and love it or hate it, is what the Grammys are all about.
5. For an example of a cheaper version of Beyonce’s dress… we have Paris Hilton. This is a disaster on so many accounts. The sheer fabric is clearly visible (unlike Beyonce’s which blends in to create the trompe l’oeil effect), and the fit is a little loose in the back. A dress like this should be skin tight. I’m also not a fan of the high neck combined with the teased pompadour.
3. Arianna Grande in Dolce & Gabbana. This dress is cute yes, but cute for an evening talk show appearance or party, not the RED CARPET OF THE GRAMMYS. Her shoes were custom made by Aldo, but look like they’re castoffs from a bridesmaid outfit. In fact, this whole look screams bridesmaid, especially the overly coiffed half updo. The biggest style crime of all? The nude nylons! I’m a fan of nylons for office environments, or when paired with power pumps and a pencil skirt… but for the Grammys in LA? Grande, are you 55 years old?
2. Zendaya Coleman in Emanuel Ungaro. Ugh I hate this dress. It’s too sheer, too much print and too trashy in a weird librarian way. I love polka dots, but combined with the snaps running along the slip, the clunky leather belt and her exposed black bra… it’s a hot mess.
1. Nadeea Volianova. I don’t know who she is, but she looks cray. I looked her up on YouTube and found weird videos, but she didn’t look this crazy. It looks like she attacked a poor 16-year-old girl on her way to Winter Formal, stole the mint, high-low hem dress from Macy’s off the poor girl’s back… and then found the cheapest booties from the Sex store only to spend 20 hours, up all night with her bedazzler before the Grammys… which would also explain her bedhead and tired looking makeup. The high low hem NEEDS TO DIE. There I said it.
BONUS: Katy Perry
I don’t know if I love it or hate it. I like the pageantry of this Valentino gown, but I think she looks like a cartoon character. Maybe it’s her doll-like makeup and perfectly curvy body (a slutty Betty Boop comes to mind) but she looks a little weird in this gown…
I love the story behind this gown and that it is the score of Verdi’s La Traviata (I wonder if any pop star today could sing the piece, or even have just listened to it), according to the house’s Instagram, took over 1,600 hours to embroider on the silk. This gown was on the couture catwalks of Paris barely a week ago, and already made it to the red carpet… a quick turnaround, but it makes me wonder if Valentino designed this gown for Perry and popped it into their collection last minute to garner extra press? The biggest thing I hated about this dress were Perry’s comments themselves, “Mr. Valentino knows me really well,” meanwhile the gown was designed by Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli. Bitch gets to wear couture and doesn’t even know who designed the gown? Or that Valentino has been retired for several seasons already? Further proof Katy Perry is no “fashion icon” we all lament her to be. Rihanna would never make that faux pas. And would have looked way better in this dress.
I’ll just leave this here…