The Golden Globe awards is the show that kicks off awards season, and last night did not disappoint with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler at the helm. The red carpet, on the other hand, was a huge disappointment. Usually the Globes are a more fun red carpet, with stars testing out looks before the Oscars, or more risk takers since this isn’t a dry event. There was a lot of ho-hum. Like winner Jennifer Lawrence in a predictable Dior gown with a tulip hem. I liked the ribbons but was bored by the look. Many stars played it safe with metallic and sequin embellished dresses. It was so easy picking out the worst dressed as many stars missed the mark. There just isn’t a clear winner this time, deserving the title of best dressed, so here they are in no particular order.
Taylor Swift looked pretty and elegant in this Carolina Herrera gown. A few other stars tried to don colour block (see Sandra Bullock below) and failed miserably. T-Swizzle pulled together the look by choosing a simple silhouette and minimal accessories.
Rashida Jones looked amazing in this Fausto Puglisi dress. I love the tacky 70s-era beaded palm trees, that somehow look fresh on this minimalist gown. Love her hair and makeup too, she always has this amazing glow.
Speaking of a glow… Olivia Wilde showed off her baby bump in this pretty Gucci irridescent dress. The only thing I’m not liking is that played out ombre hair… she looks like a cast member on the Bachelor, but I’m guessing that’s because she’s not allowed to dye it during her pregnancy.
I love the cut of this Oscar de la Renta gown Michelle Dockery is wearing. It has a vintage 1950s feel, complete with her mink-hued satin shoes. It’s an extremely elegant look pulled together by her gorgeous porcelain complexion.Okay, I lied. Maybe one star did stand out above the rest. Winner of Best Actress in a Drama, Cate Blanchett looked beautiful in this lace overlay dress by Armani Prive. It’s the perfect balance between a mature dress with a fashion forward cut and fabrication.
Now for the worst… there were so many. I’ve managed to whittle it down slightly, but most stars just needed to up the ante a little more.
5. Kaley Cuoco in Rani Zakhem. Newlywed Cuoco wore this water colour print corset dress that looks like it was pulled two years ago when this kind of thing was still in style. The colours are washing her out and the bust is way to small. She has a curvy figure and this dress is hiding it while not doing her too many favours.
4. Sandra Bullock in Prabal Gurung. I love Prabal Gurung, and I love Sandra Bullock but I’m not loving this colour block dress. Maybe it’s the contrasting pink lining or the Pepto Bismol, Quincenera hue of the pink that’s putting me off, but I hate it. Love her ponytail though.
3. Aubrey Plaza in yet another colour block disaster by Oscar de la Renta. I hate the cut of this dress, especially the bust which is making her look incredibly flat with the straight neckline. I hated the colour of that violet skirt, (and frankly, I don’t care if Radiant Orchid is Pantone’s colour of the year), it photographs horribly. I also hate the fuschia clutch (a metallic miniaudière is preferable) but what I really hate are those awful, watercolour print purple satin shoes she’s wearing.
2. Hayden Pannetiere (or however you spell her name) looked like she came out of a time machine from the 1980s. The halter neck, black and white panels and those ugly pointy-toe stilettos (you live in LA, you are ALLOWED to wear sandals), and slicked back hair is just so offensively dated and ugly. I think if she wore the hair with a modern dress, it would work. Or this dress with a sleek chignon and better shoes, it might work. But all together, it looks like a costume from Dallas, and I thought she was from Nashville.
1. MY EYES! MY EYES! I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT’S HEIDI KLUM IN MARCHESA! Sorry, all caps. But that’s how I feel about this. This horribly cut Marchesa dress made of the curtains from your weird spinster aunt was draped upon Heidi Klum’s incredible body. And to make matters worse, her makeup artist and hairstylist went on strike. I think they saw the dress and 90s choker and just gave up.