I only caught the last bit of the Emmy Awards to watch Breaking Bad completely clean up (hey Mad Men, there’s always next year!), but for me, the most exciting part was the red carpet action. Stars wore a lot of brights (From Kate Walsh in yellow to Zooey Deschanel in hot pink), but red was definitely the colour of the night, with stars like Claire Danes, Christina Hendricks, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, and Uzo Aduba wearing the hot hue. Here are my best and worst-dressed picks from the 2014 Emmy Awards.
Best Dressed couple:
Camila Alves in Zuhair Murad and Matthew McConaughey in Dolce and Gabbana. The cutouts on her dress are stunning and his blue tux shows off his colourful personality. He didn’t win for best actor, but he was definitely the best-dressed man of the night. It also never hurts to have such a gorgeous babe on his arm either.
5. Sarah Hyland in Christian Siriano. She worked the crop top and kept things simple and youthful with an undone bun, minimal jewelry and great makeup.
3. Kerry Washington in Prada. Washington might have lost out to Juliana Margulies for best actress in a drama, but she won the hearts of fashion editors everywhere with this quirky Prada choice. Perfect for fall, the pumpkin hue is unexpected and very unique.
2. Sofia Vergara was complete va-va-voom in Roberto Cavalli. The mermaid silhouette was clearly made for her.1. My best dressed pick is Lizzy Caplan in black and white Donna Karan. This dress is so elegant and she looked perfect.
7. Kate Mara in J. Mendel. I think this gown is reminding me a little bit too much of Anna Kendrick’s Oscar Gown (also a fashion miss).The cut-outs, pleating, slits and beaded details are just too much for one dress, never mind when it’s paired with hoof-like platforms and a clutch.
6. Cat Deeley must have spent too much time on Pinterest looking at ombre cakes, walls and furniture. Sadly the ombre trend is out for hair and fashion and this Burberry dress looks like it has faded in the sun for 30 years.
5. Mayim Bialik is lost in this sea of blue lace Oliver Tolentino dress. I like the lace sleeves, but the A-line silhouette drowns her. The matchy-matchy statement necklace and earring set also reminds me of middle-aged ladies who lunch.
3. Katherine Heigl was invited? Why? When all of Hollywood and the public hates you, it would help if you wore something a little more simple, pretty or just a good old LBD. Heigl gives her best Jane Fonda in her 70s impression in this John Hayles dress. Ok, I shouldn’t take Jane Fonda’s name in vain. This dress is just so matronly and ugly!
2. Sarah Paulson in Armani. While this dress looked cool on the runways, I pictured it more on the likes of Katy Perry or someone more quirky. The American Horror Story: Coven star is drowning in this black and red polka-dot loofah, perhaps she just stepped off the set of American Horror Story: Freak Show.
1. Lena Dunham was the absolutely worst-dressed star of the night in this layered, tulle Giambattista Valli couture gown. It’s quirky, it’s fun, and it’s definitely Dunham, but this whole look is a complete disaster. Further proof my friends that OMBRE IS DEAD!