The VMA awards are the perfect way to end summer and usher in a whole new awards show season. It’s one of the more fun shows, with theatrical performances and red carpet looks to match. Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed of the evening.
5. Taylor Swift in Herve Leger. We all might be over bandage dresses, but T-Swift injected some glamour with her vintage waves and red lips. She was a complete mean girl last night, swearing in the audience as her ex performed, and certainly looked the part in this vixen gown.
4. Naya Rivera. The GLEE star looked stunningly sexy in this simple cut out gown.
3. Rita Ora was stunning in this high-slit Alex Vauthier gown featuring a 15 foot train. Dramatic and exuberant, she looked like a younger (dare-I-say-it), Beyonce. Move over Queen B!
2. Ciara in Givenchy. I loved the drama of this frock and Ciara rocks the trompe l’oeil couture gown like a pro.
1. Selena Gomez in Versace. Perfect and sexy, I loved the peek-a-boo of the lace corset combined with the streamlined gown. Gomez has really come into her own with this look, and all eyes were definitely on her!
5. Jemima Kirk not only offended Natives by appropriating a motif, she also offended our eyes with this horrible see-through kaftan. It could have worked with a nude slip and better accessories, but I still don’t get the point!
4. Lil’ Kim looked better than usual, but that’s still no excuse for this leather outfit that leaves little to the imagination. I think a more boxy top and leather bootie in a more neutral colour (like oxblood or cobalt blue) would have been better… I also can’t stand that huge belt and silver heart necklace!
3. Erin Wasson was definitely the most divided look of the night. While some people loved the sheer covering and turban, I thought the look was way too dated and needed to be pulled into a modern context. I feel like she went into the back of her closet and pulled out a look from the 90s… when she was still a super.
2. Miley Cyrus in (what I’m ashamed to say is Dolce & Gabbana) did her best Gwen Stefani impression, circa-1997. This look is overdone and the little buns bring back memories of the Spice Girls. While I love Mel C, I’m not loving this look on Miley. It also looks like she went a little too crazy with her Bedazzler. And we get it! You have abs! Now put on a cute minidress or leather outfit before we all start having body issues.
1. Katy Perry in Ungaro. Not only is the leopard dress tacky, the shoulder pads and gold grill take this to another level! I don’t get this grill trend at all, Ryan Lochte (ok, maybe), then Miley and now Madonna? None of these stars have the hip hop cred to pull this look off, and frankly, she looks like a cougar with gold teeth. Watch out boys!