As the dust settles from TIFF at Hollywood North, the original Hollywood had one of its biggest nights of the year, the 63rd annual primetime Emmy Awards.
The colour of the evening was definitely red. From Nina Dobrev to Kate Winslet, the stars decided to match the carpet. It seems fitting, since the holiday season is around the corner, and you can’t go wrong in a ravishing red. Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed stars of the evening.
5. Elisabeth Moss in Marchesa. While she might not have been the best dressed, I love the way this dress hugs her figure and looks oh-so elegant. The colour could have been a bit punchier, and she should have accessorized with something brighter to brigthen her complection, but I still love the dress!
4. Smurfs star Jayma Mays looked like a cupcake, but I love it! I know this will be my controversial pick, but I adore the tulle, the flirtiness and the beadwork on this Zuhair Murad gown. Kudos to a ginger for pulling off pink too!
2. Evan Rachel-Wood looked gorgeous and elegant in this black sparkly gown. Not too many stars wore black this year, but this gown is perfection!
1. Sofia Vergara looks absolutely dynamite in this coral one-shouldered number by Vera Wang. It showcases her amazing body and is so elegant. I love the gold cuff and diamond and emerald Lorraine Schwartz earrings, as well as her simple hair. She let the gown and her body speak for itself and left us all speechless.
5. Oh Gwennie… While this Emilio Pucci dress would look gorgeous on a young starlet (think Blake Lively), the bare midriff is completely inappropriate and random. While Paltrow has stood the test of time, this look is just a little too young and frankly, unflattering.
4. Oddly enough, if you search “Heidi Klum”, you might be susceptible to exposing your computer to malware. And this dress was definitely mal-wear. The gown looks like a virus is growing off to the side. It reminds me of a petticoat gone bad… and since when do we expose petticoats on the red carpet? I do like her pointy, closed toe shoes, and floral jewellery, but the dress pulls away from the nice accessories.
3. Julianne Hough looked ghastly in this colour blocked corset gown. While the bodice is fitted, the bottom is flat and looks like stiff drapery fabric. She would have been better off borrowing from boyfriend Ryan Seacrest’s closet.
2. While she may have won the Emmy for best actress in a dramatic series, Juliana Margulies was a loser on the red carpet! This white dress is atrocious… I don’t believe in not wearing white after labour day, but I do believe in not wearing white if it matches your skin. The silhouette resembles a sack and she looks like she just ran away from the Kardashian wedding.
1. The worst is without a doubt, Kristen Wiig in this skid-mark brown Zac Posen dress. I can’t believe I put skid-mark and Zac Posen in the same sentence! The dress is a drab colour, washing the newly brunette star out, and the silhouette does nothing to enhance her figure. It’s just a drab ombre poopoo gown, reminiscent of the bridesmaid dress scene in Bridesmaids… which is coincidentally out on DVD tomorrow.
Images courtesy of wonderwall.msn.